Samsung Smart TVs come with a range of pre-installed apps that offer a variety of entertainment and functionality. While these apps can be convenient, some users may prefer to remove certain pre-installed apps to declutter their TV interface. Although Samsung does not provide an official method to delete pre-installed apps, a few potential workarounds are worth exploring. This article will discuss the options to delete pre-installed apps on your Samsung Smart TV.
How to disable and hide pre-installed apps
While you may not be able to delete pre-installed apps completely, some Samsung Smart TVs offer the option to disable or hide them from view. This feature essentially removes the app from the home screen and prevents it from launching. To disable or hide an app, follow these steps:
- Press the “Home” button on your remote to access the main menu of your Samsung Smart TV.
- Navigate to the app you want to disable or hide using the directional buttons on your remote. The app may be located in the pre-installed apps section or in the list of downloaded apps.
- Once you have selected the app, press and hold the “Enter” or “OK” button on your remote until a menu appears. This may take a couple of seconds.
- In the menu, you should see several options related to the selected app. Look for the option to disable or hide the app. The wording may vary depending on your TV model, but it is typically labeled as “Disable,” “Hide,” or “Remove from Home.”
- Select the disable or hide option and press the “Enter” or “OK” button on your remote to confirm your selection.
- After confirming, the app will be disabled or hidden from view on the home screen of your Samsung Smart TV. It will no longer be accessible unless you enable or unhide it again.
Please note that disabling or hiding an app does not delete it permanently from your TV. The app will still be on your TV, but it will not appear on the home screen and cannot be launched unless you enable or unhide it.
It’s worth mentioning that the availability of the disable or hide feature may vary depending on your Samsung Smart TV model and firmware version. Some older models may not have this option, while newer models tend to provide more customization features. Refer to your TV’s user manual or visit the Samsung support website for specific instructions tailored to your TV model.
How to delete apps on Samsung Smart TV
The process is relatively straightforward if you have installed apps from the Samsung App Store on your Samsung Smart TV and now wish to remove them for various reasons. By following a few simple steps, you can delete regular apps from your TV, freeing up storage space and customizing your app collection to suit your preferences. Uninstalling apps on Samsung Smart TVs may vary depending on the TV model and firmware version. Here are the steps for uninstalling apps on different Samsung Smart TV models:
T, Q, and LS Samsung Smart TVs:
- Press the Home button to open Smart Hub.
- Click on the gear icon.
- Swipe down and select Support.
- Choose Device Care.
- Wait for your TV to scan itself and click on Manage Storage.
- Select the app you want to uninstall from the list and click on it.
- Choose Delete and confirm with OK.
M/MU/NU/RU/Q/LS (2017-2019) Samsung Smart TVs:
- Tap on Home on your OneRemote to access the main menu.
- Select Apps.
- Click on the gear icon located in the upper right corner to open the settings.
- Find the app you want to uninstall and tap on it.
- Select Delete from the list.
K/KU/KS Samsung Smart TVs:
- Press Home on your remote control.
- Select Apps.
- Click on Options, located in the bottom right corner.
- From the menu, select Delete.
- Choose the app from the list and tap Delete.
J/JU/JS (2015) Samsung Smart TVs:
- Press and hold the colored button on your remote.
- From the popup menu, select Featured and click on Apps.
- Select Options in the upper right corner.
- Choose the Delete My Apps option.
- Hover over the app you want to delete from the list and click on Delete in the top corner of the screen.
- Click on Yes to confirm your action.
E/EH/ES (2012) and H/HU/F (2014) Samsung Smart TVs:
- Use your remote control to navigate to Smart Hub.
- Select the app you want to uninstall.
- Hold down the Tools button on your remote.
- Select Delete and press Enter.
- Choose Yes to confirm your action.
Please note that these instructions are general guidelines, and the specific options or wording may vary slightly based on your Samsung Smart TV model and firmware version. Consult your TV’s user manual or contact Samsung support for detailed instructions tailored to your TV model.
Delete pre-installed apps using developer mode
Depending on your TV’s geo-localization, pre-installed apps on Samsung Smart TVs, including stock apps and third-party apps like Netflix and Prime Video, cannot be easily deleted as the Delete option is typically greyed out for them. However, by enabling Developer Mode on your Samsung TV, you can gain access to the Delete option for pre-installed apps. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press the Home button on your TV’s remote control.
- Select “Apps” and click on it to open the Apps section.
- Press the Number button on your remote and type ‘12345’ using the on-screen number pad.
- A pop-up for Developer mode will appear. Highlight the “On” button and select it.
- Choose the “OK” option. This will enable Developer mode for the Apps section on your Samsung TV. Select “Close” to dismiss the pop-up message stating “Develop Mode is On status.”
- Highlight the Settings (cogwheel) icon located at the top-right corner of your TV screen and click on it.
- Find and highlight the app you want to delete on the app’s settings page.
- Go to the “Lock/Unlock” option and click on it to lock the app.
- Type ‘0000’ (the default password). The app will be locked, and a lock icon will appear on the app’s banner image.
- Now, go to the “Deep Link Test” option and click on it.
- On the pop-up window, highlight the Content ID box and type anything using the on-screen keyboard. Click the “Done” button on the keyboard and select “OK.”
- You will be prompted to enter the unlock password. Do not enter the password and select the “Cancel” option.
- The previously greyed-out “Delete” option for the app should now be available. You will notice that the app, such as Apple Music in the example, now has the Delete option enabled.
- Click on the “Delete” option and confirm your choice to remove the pre-installed app.
- You can repeat steps 8 to 14 for any other pre-installed app you wish to delete from your Samsung Smart TV.
If the Delete option remains greyed out after following these steps, you can try restarting the TV a couple of times to see if that resolves the issue.
By enabling Developer Mode on your Samsung Smart TV, you can unlock the ability to delete pre-installed apps that were previously inaccessible. Proceed with caution and only delete apps if you are certain of your decision, as these apps may be necessary for certain TV functionalities.